Friday, December 28, 2012

A Recipe for Good Luck and Prosperity

Growing up, we always had ham and beans with corn bread on New Year's Day. It was probably my least favorite meal. As a kid, I would complain, saying "Mom, whyyyyy do we have to eat this EVERY year?" In many cultures it is believed that eating certain foods would bring certain things into your life. Pork brings an abundant new year, good luck and prosperity; beans (representing a coin) and cornbread (representing gold) both bring wealth. As I've gotten older my tastes have definitely changed and now I actually like ham and beans. I decided I wanted to come up with a new recipe to continue this tradition with my family. Now, this wasn't an easy sell to my kids. They both complained "Mom, whyyyyy do we have to eat that?" We have always had a  '3 Bite Rule' - try three bites and if you don't like it, you can have something else. Once they tried it, the rule was not necessary, they both had two bowls!

Not my Momma's Ham and Beans

- 1 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1 lb ham, cubed or shredded
- 4 cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 c water


First heat oil and saute garlic and onions. Next, add the salt, pepper, parsley, cloves and ham. Heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the beans and water. Bring to a low boil, then reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve with corn bread and enjoy!

Happy New Year!



- Stacy

1 comment:

  1. love your postings.. very funny..
    But hun, you just can't buy canned beans one more time.. Make 'em urself.. they are SO much cheaper.. & better ..
    try it . the 'recipe' is on the bag ..

    Again.. Love ur attitude .. keep it up.
    lisa
    PS still debating about the SHOT for better health tho,, I really Really hate HOT ..

    ReplyDelete