Monday, November 12, 2012

Glitter Bow Tie Flats


I have been seeing a lot of glitter and sparkles this season, and I am loving it! I recently saw a post on pinterest that said you can add glitter to Modpodge and make anything sparkle, so I decided to give it a try with a pair of old flats. 

Materials:
-shoes
-Modpodge
-fine glitter
-paintbrush
-ribbon or fabric
-hot glue gun

Here are my old flats I chose to make over. These shoes are about 6 years old and have definitely seen better days.


These shoes had a leopard print fabric on them that I needed to get rid of (I didn't think the Modpodge and glitter would look very good on the fabric), so I cut away the fabric. That process took about 20 minutes and wasn't all that fun, but if you use a pair of flats that has a smooth surface you will be able to just cut this extra step out!

Underneath the fabric the surface was a little rough, but if your surface isn't, you may want to use sandpaper to roughen it up so the Modpodge and glitter sticks better.

Mix up your Modpodge and glitter. Use about 3 parts glue to 1 part glitter.


Paint the shoes all over and let them dry. Paint 1 or 2 more coats.


Now it is time to make the bow. I made mine out of ribbon, but you could use fabric if that's what you prefer. 

You'll need two pieces of ribbon. Fold the longer ribbon in half and glue it.

 

Fold the smaller ribbon twice so that the sides of the ribbon are in the middle and glue it.


Take the ribbon that you folded in half and squeeze the middle together and glue it.


Wrap the other ribbon around the middle and glue it.


Ta da!


Ok, and now for the finished product.

 

I am really happy with the way these shoes turned out! I was a little skeptical that the glitter might come off, but so far that hasn't been the case. 

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment